I needed a quick cabbage slaw recipe for tonight’s pulled pork bowls. Usually, vinegar-based recipes are my preference, but after a quick search on the New York Times Cooking site, I found a recipe which includes a dressing made with yogurt to add just the right amount of creaminess. Using that recipe as my inspiration, and using the vegetables I had on hand, this slaw was born.
Winter Cabbage Slaw
Quick make-ahead winter vegetable slaw with creamy dressing
- 2 cups white cabbage shredded, about 8 ounces
- 1 cup red cabbage shredded, about 4 ounces
- 2 apples peeled and shredded (use a tart-ish apple here, Gala or something similar)
- 1 watermelon radish peeled and shredded
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp avocado or other neutral oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
Add all shredded vegetables to a large bowl.
In a small bowl, mix together dressing ingredients (lemon juice through oil) until well blended. Combine with shredded vegetables and use hands to toss thoroughly (great job for kids!). Salt & pepper to taste.
Can be made ahead, chill until ready to serve.