Last week, while visiting Penzey’s, I picked up a fun recipe for Hot Chocolate Snowball Cookies, a variation on the Nutty Nuggets/Mexican Wedding Cake/Russian Tea Cake Cookie that is popular this time of year. The cookies were easy to make, and the whole family enjoys the addition to our holiday treat plate.
Hot Chocolate Snowball Cookies
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup Penzey’s Hot Chocolate Mix
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar, plus more for rolling the finished cookies
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans (toasted if you want, for extra flavor)
- Cream together butter, cream cheese, hot chocolate mix, powdered sugar and vanilla. Sift together flour and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to the butter mixture. Mix until well blended. Stir in pecans and refrigerate 1 hour (or overnight, like I did!)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Scoop out 1-inch balls and place 1-inch apart on cookie sheet covered with parchment. Bake 15-18 minutes, until firm. Let cool on cookie sheet 1-2 minutes. Roll warm cookies in remaining powdered sugar and cool.
Preparation time: 1 hour(s) 12 minute(s)
Cooking time: 20 minute(s)
Copyright © 2011 Good Fud Media.
Recipe by Gudrun Enger.
Microformatting by hRecipe.