We had a pile of pears left over last week and I needed a quick recipe to use the stash before our next box from Happy Child CSA ripened. Fortunately, there was a great recipe included in the weekly newsletter, Becky’s Pear Cake. It was easy to make, and I modified slightly with the addition of Ginger People ginger chips, which gave the cake a little more ginger-oompf. Kids and adults alike enjoyed the cake, and it was very suitable for one of the new holiday stencils I picked up at Michael’s.
Inspired by Becky’s Pear Cake from Happy Child CSA
- 2 cups cake flour
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 cups diced pears (I did not peel)
- 1/3 cup ginger chips (the Ginger People have a good product)
- Preheat oven to 305F. Line 9-inch square pans with parchment and spray with cooking spray.
- Mix together flours, baking powder and salt in medium bowl; set aside.
- Cream butter and sugars. Add eggs, ginger, vanilla.
- Alternate adding dry ingredients and buttermilk, beginning and ending with dry ingredients.
- Add pears and mix gently. Do not overmix.
- Pour into prepared pans and bake 55-60 minutes, until tops are golden and inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Preparation time: 1 hour(s) 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8
Copyright © 2011 Good Fud Media.
Recipe by Gudrun Enger.
Microformatting by hRecipe.