Menu Plan Monday: Beets is the best eats

Ok, my attempt at cute subject lines might actually be hurting my SEO – on the other hand, if anyone is searching for a beet recipe, especially beet risotto, you have come to the right place!

I managed to make off with two bags of loose Beets, by trading my bag of Broccoli. Only one of us in this house is really wild about broccoli and since I have some left from last week, I decided to ditch this week’s bag. And, because I have the leftover broccoli, along with smallage (soup celery) and Carrots, I think I am headed for soup at least one night this week. With the Beets, I plan to make Pressure Cooker Beet Risotto (previous recipe), as well as Roasted Beets with Ricotta Salata (on sale this week at Whole Foods).

This week’s box also included Agretti, a tasty vegetable/herb originally from Italy. We had it last year, and some folks are not too wild about it, so I ended up with two bunches this week. I enjoy the slightly tart taste, and like to sauté it with olive oil and garlic, then drizzle sesame oil over the top for a nice Asian-themed side dish. Leftovers are great cold! I found a few other recipes including Lemon Garlic Agretti and Frittata Con Agretti, as well as this yummy sounding Agretti Spaghetti recipe I found on the Two Small Farms site:

Matthew K’s Agretti Spaghetti

[for two people]
1/2 pound spaghetti (or other pasta, see note below)
handful of agretti
1 link Italian Sausage
2 green garlics or spring shallots, minced
1 Cup ricotta cheese
Olive oil

Clean the agretti and remove the “bulbs”

Boil agretti with spaghetti in salted water according to the cooking time on the spaghetti box.

While the pasta is cooking, brown Italian Sausage in a pan with green garlic with a bit of olive oil.

Drain the pasta and return to cooking pot, mix all ingredients together and add salt and pepper to taste. For a little kick, throw in some red pepper flakes. Serve.

Note: for best results, choose a pasta that cooks in 7-9 minutes.

The rest of the box included Strawberries, Mint, Fresh Shallots, Carrots and Bok Choy.

So, without further ado, here is my Menu Plan for the week of April 20th:

Sunday: Beet Risotto (see recipe below), grilled meat, green salad

Monday: Potage of veggies (see recipe from last week), roasted Beets with ricotta salata, bread

Tuesday: Leftovers

Wednesday: Agretti Spaghetti, sautéed Carrots, bread

Thursday: Fish with teriyaki marinade, cold Agretti salad, sautéed Bok Choy, soba noodles with edamame

Friday: TGIF with mini-block party

Be sure to check out Laura’s Org Junkie site for more Menu Plan Monday ideas!

This entry was posted in Eat local, Hot buttered toast, menu plan, Spring. Bookmark the permalink. Comments are closed, but you can leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted April 20, 2009 at 11:21 am | Permalink

I’m not going to lie..I love that agretti spaghetti kind of rhymes :)

It sounds delicious, too! And beet risotto sounds interesting. I don’t know if I’d like it because beets aren’t my favorite, but I do like the flavor, it’s just the texture that I’m not mad about.

mariss last blog post..Make This Cake, Then I’ll Tell You Its Name

Posted April 20, 2009 at 11:27 am | Permalink

I LOVE that agretti spaghetti rhymes! That might be the ticket to getting my kids to eat it :-)

And I made the beet risotto a little differently last night – I pressure cooked the beets first, then used the red cooking liquid for part of the liquid in the risotto. The beets were not mushy, they still had a little bite to them, and I think it made the dish tastier. My daughter even said she liked it better than the other way, when I used roasted beets.

3. Posted April 20, 2009 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

I am determined to love beets – I love all vegetables, but still have a hard time with the flavor of beets. I hope the more I eat the more I will like them, and I’ll start with the recipe for beets with ricotta salata.

4. Posted April 20, 2009 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

Interesting menu!

Posted April 21, 2009 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Good luck Lynda! I think beets can be very tasty, after all, they are great ways to get other yummy things in your mouth, like quality balsamic vinegar and ricotta salata! :-)

6. Posted April 26, 2009 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

Pasta, sausage, and ricotta would taste good to me Sun-Sat. :)

Sunday breakfast #aebelskiver #thatonewontturnover