Greek Yogurt Taste Test

In December, I won a contest over at This Mama Cooks! On a Diet, and Anne-Marie sent me 5 coupons for free 5.3 ounce containers of the new Stoneyfield Farms Oikos Greek Yogurt. And since I was in the store today redeeming my coupons, I thought I would do a little comparison.

The other Greek yogurt on the shelf that was both fat-free and flavored, is Chobani All Natural Greek Yogurt (this was actually kind of interesting – there were other flavored Greek yogurts, but none that were fat free). At my local Wholefoods, it was $1.49 a container. The Oikos was $1.99, on special for 2 for $3.

For this test, I bought blueberry flavor for both – Chobani comes in 6 different flavors, while the Oikos comes in plain, vanilla, blueberry and honey. Oikos is organic, while Chobani is all natural, if that is important to you.

Overall, I have to say the two are pretty different – Chobani is lighter, with a nice blueberry taste and a good amount of whole blueberries, but it does not really have the mouth feel of Greek yogurt.

Oikos is definitely thicker, with that cheesey taste common in other Greek yogurts. The blueberry flavor is also good, with whole blueberries in the mix. It was slightly easier to mix up, as the blueberry was not as loose as the Chobani.

The Chobani is a better value – a 6 ounce cup for $1.49, versus the Oikos at $1.99 for 5.3 ounces.

As it turns out, I won’t be buying either of these yogurts in this format, as I am sensitive to packaging and prefer my yogurt in big containers. But, I would purchase them in larger containers – probably sticking with the Chobani for everyday eating and selecting the Oikos for the thick, greek yogurt taste, or as Anne-Marie suggested, as a replacement for sour cream.

Have you tried either? What are your thoughts?

This entry was posted in Hot buttered toast. Bookmark the permalink. Comments are closed, but you can leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted February 22, 2009 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

I was WONDERING what the diff in taste was! Thx for doing test. I bought Chobani but haven’t gotten around to tasting.

Posted February 22, 2009 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

glad I could help – really, glad to taste most anything, especially in the chocolate and dessert categories!

3. Posted February 27, 2009 at 4:04 pm | Permalink

I like FAGE Greek yogurt. I get the whole milk, unflavored kind, but it does come both fat-free and flavored.

Posted February 27, 2009 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

Interesting that you mention FAGE. It was my default for many years, I used to buy it at Trader Joes. Just the other day, I saw plain, fat-free, in big containers at CostCo!

5. Posted March 5, 2009 at 9:55 am | Permalink

I love Fage yogurt but I also like the Chobani flavors – specifically vanilla and honey. Yum! Thanks for sharing!

mariss last blog post..Classic Italian Meatballs

Posted March 9, 2009 at 10:45 am | Permalink

I am pretty much a fan of most Greek Yogurts. I like the thicker consistency – makes me think I am eating a wonderfully lovely super-rich dessert!

Blueberry crumble and Raspberry Lemonade bars, ready for delivery. #nclmidpen #nationalcharityleague