New hobby – Kitchen Aprons

In November, my mother-in-law helped me buy a new sewing machine, a Husquavarna Viking 850 Quilt, and I spent a couple days in December making super cute (if I do say so myself) handmade kitchen aprons for my friends.

Apron for Buttonwillow Six
Apron for Buttonwillow Six

I made quite a few aprons, 4 to be exact, here are some close-up pics of the cute ones – I had a hard time figuring out the best way to photograph them. Any ideas?

The recipe I used is a low-waisted School Girl Apron from Vanilla House Designs. Very cute and easy to put together, although it takes time to cut out the material. My favorite part was selecting the fabrics for each person – I also used a feature on my machine to add personalization, which makes it even that much more special!

Each month, I take a sewing class – this month we are going to learn how to make reusable shopping bags. I am sensing that those might also make good gifts, maybe next Christmas!
This entry was posted in Hot buttered toast. Bookmark the permalink. Comments are closed, but you can leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted February 7, 2009 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Those are SO cute! How do I get on that Christmas list? ;-)

It was great to see you last night!

Posted February 7, 2009 at 8:57 pm | Permalink

thanks Jessica, it was great to see you too! I find those events so much more palatable with friendly faces :-)

These aprons are a lot cuter than my pictures turned out – and frankly, not that hard (don’t tell my friends!). I bet you could make them too :-)

3. Posted February 8, 2009 at 11:34 pm | Permalink

Those are adorable!

It was great meeting you on Friday. I’m enjoying your blog very much. My favorite kitchen gadget is my Vitamix, and unfortunately, I probably won’t make it to Blogher this summer unless some fabulous windfall comes my way. I do hope to see you at more local events however, and you’re going to see plenty of me here hitting you up for kitchen tips!

-S

4. Posted February 9, 2009 at 12:53 pm | Permalink

Wow, you make fab cookies and sew too. Just the thought of sewing makes my blood pressure rise.

5. Posted February 9, 2009 at 1:14 pm | Permalink

I can organize a closet and ignore a messy house. It is just so pleasing to see everything lined up neatly. My house, I clean, I turnaround and it is not clean in minutes. Kids do that and husbands and me.

6. Posted February 9, 2009 at 11:40 pm | Permalink

Those are cool aprons, but not as cool as my “kiss the cook” grill apron.

Posted February 10, 2009 at 12:16 am | Permalink

that would be cool! Too bad I did not get the embroidery machine, I could have put that on the front of these aprons :-)

8. Lisa Renner
    Posted February 16, 2009 at 6:43 pm | Permalink

Cute apron! Where do I find the pattern?

Posted February 16, 2009 at 7:46 pm | Permalink

Vanilla House Designs makes the patterns, and they have several aprons to choose from. I went with the School Girl Apron, since it was designed for a beginner and was pretty cute to boot!

vanillahousedesigns.com

They have loads of other interesting patterns to boot. I actually purchased mine at Eddie’s Quilting Bee in Sunnyvale, where I buy most of my quilting/sewing supplies.

Cheers,

Negroni #4 for the week. Aged to perfection! #summer #cocktails (at Borrone MarketBar)