Roasted Tomato Soup
based on recipe from Gourmet Magazine
- 4 pounds tomatoes, halved
- 6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
Preheat oven to 350F. Arrange tomatoes, cut sides up, on a shallow baking pan, large enough to hold all the tomatoes in a single layer. Add garlic to pan, and drizzle olive oil over tomatoes. Sprinkle with salt & pepper. Roast 1 hour, remove from oven and allow to cool. Peel garlic*.
Melt butter in heavy pot over medium heat. Add onion, oregano and sugar and cook slowly, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, garlic,and broth. Bring to boil, then turn heat down low and simmer for 20 minutes. Using your immersion blender, puree the soup in the pot. Strain through a sieve, discard solids. Taste for seasonings and reheat until hot enough to serve.
* I did all of this the night before, while my oven was on for something else, which made putting together the soup right before dinner a snap
Other Roasted Tomato Recipes