Food bloggers and their favorite gadgets – Roundup from Twittermoms

Egg beater
Egg beater
A few weeks ago, I posted my standard get-to-know-y’all question on Twittermoms, a new social network for moms who tweet (a description I just barely fit). I asked the other moms what their favorite kitchen gadget is, and asked them to post their blog URLs too. And here is the roundup!

Kelly from The Geek Mom and Sandy of Macaroni and Peas, love super sharp knives. Sandy is pretty sure she could not cook with out one, and Kelly is especially partial to her Santoku knife, which she says is a great all-purpose tool.

Chef Wendy Walton, aka Chef Mommy and Pam B, along with Elena from Scrappers Journal and Stacey from The Sicilian Hideaway, love their Kitchen Aid Stand Mixers. A few are new to the joys of the stand mixer, while others have been enjoying theirs for years. What is your favorite attachment? I am thinking of getting a grain mill, to grind my own flour!

Laura of Rock the Dinner Rush (the first one to respond to my forum topic!) and Alysa are both fond of their Bread Machines- they did not specify brand, do you have a favorite? And Robin of Whole Food and More uses her Vita-Mix to make peanut butter and butter from grass-fed beef, both good toppers for fresh bread. Do you people all know each other?

Spottie kind of punted on the question, not really willing to commit to any one of her many kitchen gadgets, although she gave to props to several, including her can opener, bread machine, and her ice tea maker (yes, this counts as a kitchen gadget!).

And last, but most definitely not least, Mama Grimtribe of Living Cheap Wonderfully is a big fan of her Immersion Blender, which is also one of my top-10 favorite tools! And since she is whipping up dinner for 8 every night, this tool gets a ton of use.

If you have just joined us here, what is your favorite kitchen gadget?

Photo courtesy of Kimberly Faye.

This entry was posted in Hot buttered toast. Bookmark the permalink. Comments are closed, but you can leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Nate
    Twitter: houseofannie
    Posted November 4, 2008 at 8:58 pm | Permalink

Santoku, the Kitchenaid with the meat grinder attachment, the immersion blender.

How do you make butter from grass-fed beef? It’d be pretty bloody right?

Nates last blog post..The Grill on the Alley (San Jose)

2. Posted November 5, 2008 at 2:54 am | Permalink

I feel like I find the best stuff on Twittermoms when I read blog posts like yours! Seriously, this is a great round-up. My husband is the one who runs the kitchen in our house, and I can tell you he favors the Santoku to the traditional chef’s knife most of the time and any excuse he can muster up to get that immersion blender going he is on it. The KitchenAid collects dust in our garage, mostly because baking would be my contribution to the kitchen ;^)

See you around, thanks for posting!

Megan Calhouns last blog post..Jyl left a comment for Nicole – Party Boutique

3. Posted November 5, 2008 at 8:38 am | Permalink

IMMERSION BLENDER! This is an awesome little gadget for soup, salsa, shakes, apple/pear sauce and these days, baby food.

GeekGirl42s last blog post..geekgirl42: Oops. Went to bed about 20 minutes too early last night.

4. Posted November 5, 2008 at 10:29 am | Permalink

Oh, to choose just one kitchen gadget! I guess I’d say my Oxo peelers. Boring, I know, but I have three of them and they get constant use. I never mind peeling anymore since I started using Oxos. Thanks for visiting my blog — yours is great! I’m bookmarking it — I can’t get enough of kitchen gadgetry! BTW, “TWD” is “Tuesdays with Dorie” — http://www.tuesdayswithdorie.com — an online baking club.

Cathys last blog post..TWD: Rugelach

Posted November 5, 2008 at 11:21 am | Permalink

oh Nate, such a jokester! Maybe you should help me proof my posts before they go live :-)

That would be milk from grass-fed beef. I imagine the butter is lovely and maybe has a strong tint to it? Or at least a more organic flavor….

I have not explored my meat grinder attachment at all, I think I have some testing to do…what cut of beef do you start with?

Posted November 5, 2008 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Megan, appreciate the kind words. Sounds like your husband and I would get along pretty well in the kitchen, be sure to send him over!

Posted November 5, 2008 at 11:24 am | Permalink

GeekGirl, I completely agree. One day, RSN, I will publish my top 10 list, which is going to include the immersion blender. Tonight I plan on making soup, mostly so I can get that tool out and give it a whirl (get it, whirl?!).

:-)

Posted November 5, 2008 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Cathy – Oxo tools of any kind are also favorites of mine! I have three peelers as well, although I have branched out to other brands (actually, I posted about Peelers a month or so ago). I also love most other Oxo tools – 9 times out of 10, when making a choice about a new tool, I will go with the Oxo brand.

Thanks for the info about TWD, I am going to check it out now – apparently I need to get on board and buy this cookbook!

9. Posted November 6, 2008 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Oh wow this is easy for me. I couldn’t live without my vegetable peeler, as simple as that sounds. Also, I’ve used my biscuit cookie cutters for mashing potatoes and homemade applesauce in my pre-potato masher ownership days.

I also LOVE, LOVE my new Cuisinart immersion blender and I don’t know how I ever cooked without it.

Mariss last blog post..A Turkey Sandwich With Turkey on the Side

Sunday breakfast with fresh eggs from the new girl, Goose, and #mariquitafarms tomatoes