Sausage with onions, peppers and tomatoes
- 1 onion, cut in half and sliced thin
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed and chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, cut in half and sliced thin
- 4-5 medium tomatoes, chopped (medium is slightly larger than a golf ball)
- 2 teaspoons each basil, thyme and oregano
- 1 pound pre-cooked sausage, any flavor
- 1 recipe creamy polenta (recipe to follow)
Preheat oven to 350F.
In a cast iron (or other oven proof pan), sauté onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons olive oil, for 2 minutes. Add in bell peppers and sauté another 2 minutes. Add in tomatoes, herbs and season with salt & pepper to taste. Transfer to oven and bake for 20 minutes. Arrange sausages over the top of the onions and peppers, and bake another 10 minutes, turning sausages once, until they are heated through. Serve over polenta.
Creamy Polenta, microwave style (from the back of the Golden Pheasant brand of Polenta)
Mix 3 cups of water, 3/4 cup polenta and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a 3 quart casserole dish, with lid. Cover and microwave on high 8 minutes. Remove and stir until well blended. Microwave another 2-3 minutes until desired thickness is achieved. Serve.