Food blogger meet-up: San Francisco

Today, I was fortunate enough to join a group of food bloggers from BlogHer, along with other Northern California food bloggers for a meet-up at the Hotel Vitale in San Francisco. While enjoying the Sunday brunch menu at the in-hotel Americano restaurant, I had the chance to hob-nob with very interesting local and out-of-state food bloggers. Naturally, I took the opportunity to ask about their favorite kitchen gadgets!

Chuck of Sunday Nite Dinners (check out his recent post about Chocolate Blackout Cake!) and Jen of Life Begins at Thirty, both like Microplaners, although Jen did not want to duplicate Chuck, so she also threw in a Burr Grinder. Kristin of Off Beat Eating likes her Mini Offset Spatula, claiming it is her favorite for decorating cupcakes. Ed from Is It EDible? is a fan of the Potato Ricer, which I can fully agree with. Makes the fluffiest mashed potatoes…

Claire of Cook Think was excited about her Nested Biscuit Cutters, a set of ten stainless steel circular cutters. Simona from Briciole says her favorite is her Hand-held Cheese Grater, but explains that guests to her home love her Ice Cream Maker. One of her frequent guests and fellow food blogger Christine of Christine Cooks loves her Garlic Slicer. Sam of Becks & Posh chooses her Salton Electronic Scale, and she posted a great roundup of food blogger favorites in the Ultimate Shopping List for Discerning Home Cooks (the money-is-no-object list!)

Biggie of Lunch in a Box swears by Rubberized Shelf Liners which she uses under her cutting boards to keep them from slipping while preparing speedy lunch bentos. Staying with the Japanese theme, Sean from Hedonia says his favorite kitchen gadget is a Benrinner, an inexpensive Japanese mandoline. And on the slicing theme, Susan of Food Blogga loves her Oxo Julienne Peeler, and Gutenberg & Chubby of Bunrabs choose a sharp Chef’s Knife as their favorite.

Lynda of Taste Food and Anna of Cookie Madness snuck away before I could ask them about their favorites – hope I can catch up with them soon. I end my tour of kitchen gadget favorites with those of the two organizers of today’s food blogger gathering – Kayln of Kayln’s Kitchen loves her Food Saver, and Amy of Cooking With Amy is so excited by her new Zojirushi 1-lb Bread Maker (“Makes the bread, ever!”), while her all time favorite kitchen gadget has to be a hand-held Immersion Blender.

Good thing I ate dinner before posting this roundup – all this food talk (and blog surfing) is making me hungry. I look forward to exploring all of these food bloggers in further detail, finding new recipes and gleaning tips and techniques from their expertise. Great to meet you all!

This entry was posted in Gadgets. Bookmark the permalink. Comments are closed, but you can leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted July 21, 2008 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Great meeting and hanging out with you this weekend, KGG! I’m sorry I couldn’t find you to participate in my raid on the size 11 shoes at Macy’s though — fun for the “bigfoot” girls. Good luck with your blog; I’m sure you’re brimming with ideas after the BlogHer conference… :-)

Biggie @ Lunch in a Boxs last blog post..Tuscan squid & karaage bento lunches

2. Posted July 21, 2008 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Hi there! I met you at blogher:) Just wanted to stop by and say howdy!

A Cowboy’s Wifes last blog post..The Blogher Beginning

3. Posted July 21, 2008 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Very fun meeting you in SF, and since I’m a kitchen gadget freak, I look forward to keeping up with your blog!

Kalyns last blog post..Planning an Online Memorial for a Wonderful Blogger and Friend

4. Posted July 21, 2008 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

Great meeting you, and thanks for putting together the list of us that met up yesterday. We’ll have to chat more about the intersection of food and travel.

Kristins last blog post..Candy Friday: Flyer Chocolate with Caramel

5. sam
    Posted July 22, 2008 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

It was lovely to meet you too, Gadget Girl!

6. Eve
    Posted July 22, 2008 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

I am so bummed that I missed this lunch! But the round up of favorite gadgets is great!

Great meeting you on Friday!

-E

Eves last blog post..Cucumber & Yogurt Salad With Herbs (a.k.a. Tzatziki)

7. Posted July 22, 2008 at 5:56 pm | Permalink

Hi Gudrun:

It was great meeting you at BlogHer last weekend. I’m in Olympia eating and drinking and relaxing with my two sisters before I return to Boston to finish writing my book proposal. I look forward to staying in touch.

Best,
    Janice

8. Posted July 23, 2008 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

Nice roundup, Gudrun. And nice meeting you, of course.

Simonas last blog post..risotto ai lamponi

9. Posted July 25, 2008 at 10:50 am | Permalink

Hi Gudrun! It was lovely meeting you, and thanks for the fun roundup! So many fun toys.

10. Posted July 25, 2008 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

Hi.
    I am sorry I missed the BlogHer conference, would’ve loved to attend. I am in the NYC east coast area, how can I find out about more blog “get togethers”? would love to get involved.
    Thanks, Stacey

Stacey Snacks

Posted July 26, 2008 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Stacey – I am not sure how this gathering was organized, I think perhaps a group of food bloggers who were coming to the conference invited local food bloggers for a joint gathering. My guess is that as you connect with other bloggers, you begin to know where they are, and then you can organize get-togethers. I am sure there are loads of food bloggers in the NYC area. Good luck… and if you are ever in the SF area, feel free to let me know!

One Trackback

1. […] packaging and repackaging items for my freezer. The FoodSaver is a kitchen tool recommended to me way back by Kalyn of Kalyn’s Kitchen, and since, many folks over have told me how great they are […]

Sunday breakfast #aebelskiver #thatonewontturnover