This week, our temperatures have been in the upper 90s, some days topping out at over 100F. I certainly do not feel like getting into a hot kitchen at the end of a hot day and cooking up a hot dinner. So here are 13 dinners for hot nights:
- Falafel with pitas, hummus, tzatzki, and tabouli
- Taco Salad (this is what my Mom used to make on hot summer nights!)
- Sushi, edamame and seaweed salad
- Curry Chicken Salad on a bed of lettuce
- Cold sliced meats and cheeses, served with excellent breads* and mustards
- Orzo and shrimp salad, served in a 1/2 an avocado
- Smoothies and milkshakes (I throw in tofu for a little protein)
- Thai peanut noodles with cold sliced pork tenderloin
- Bruschetta with three toppings – tomatoes with basil, white bean puree and eggplant tapanade
- Fresh Corn on the Cob, dripping with butter and salt – yes, I can make a whole meal of this!
- Cold BBQ’d chicken with potato salad
- Cucumber soup (serve chilled)
- Leftover pizza – that should be eaten cold, right?
With many of the above, I would also serve a green salad, just to round things out.
What would you serve for dinner on a hot night?
* When having bread for dinner, I tend to get very high quality, artisan bread. Not like the bread for lunch sandwiches is bad, I just feel I need to take it up a notch for dinner.