Thirteen dinners for a hot night

This week, our temperatures have been in the upper 90s, some days topping out at over 100F. I certainly do not feel like getting into a hot kitchen at the end of a hot day and cooking up a hot dinner. So here are 13 dinners for hot nights:

1. Falafel with pitas, hummus, tzatzki, and tabouli
  2. Taco Salad (this is what my Mom used to make on hot summer nights!)
  3. Sushi, edamame and seaweed salad
  4. Curry Chicken Salad on a bed of lettuce
  5. Cold sliced meats and cheeses, served with excellent breads* and mustards
  6. Orzo and shrimp salad, served in a 1/2 an avocado
  7. Smoothies and milkshakes (I throw in tofu for a little protein)
  8. Thai peanut noodles with cold sliced pork tenderloin
  9. Bruschetta with three toppings – tomatoes with basil, white bean puree and eggplant tapanade
  10. Fresh Corn on the Cob, dripping with butter and salt – yes, I can make a whole meal of this!
  11. Cold BBQ’d chicken with potato salad
  12. Cucumber soup (serve chilled)
  13. Leftover pizza – that should be eaten cold, right?

With many of the above, I would also serve a green salad, just to round things out.

What would you serve for dinner on a hot night?

* When having bread for dinner, I tend to get very high quality, artisan bread. Not like the bread for lunch sandwiches is bad, I just feel I need to take it up a notch for dinner.

This entry was posted in My side of the bed. Bookmark the permalink. Comments are closed, but you can leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Ben
    Posted July 10, 2008 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Great ideas, although I am not very sure about leftover pizza. For me it has to be fresh and hot! Hehe

2. Posted July 10, 2008 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Great suggestions!!!! For our family, we can make a great meal just out of a giant bowl of fruit salad with some yogurt and granola.

3. Posted July 10, 2008 at 11:22 am | Permalink

They all sound so yummy…

Great TT!

4. Posted July 10, 2008 at 11:55 am | Permalink

Corn on the cob as the meal? Now you’re talking!

Great ideas here, I will be usiing a few myself. Thanks! :-D

5. Posted July 10, 2008 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

The cucumber soup sounds yummy…I’ll have to find a recipe and try it. Great list, thanks for sharing :-D

6. Posted July 10, 2008 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

Cool ideas. I love a good smoothie :)

7. Jen
    Posted July 10, 2008 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Lots of heat-themed TTs this week. This particular one made me crave corn on the cob!

8. Posted July 10, 2008 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

we’re all about the salad at my house

9. Posted July 10, 2008 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

oooooh i would love the recipe for the shrimp salad on avocado halves! those all sound great frankly :) great TT!

10. Posted November 6, 2008 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

This is a great idea for a post! I know when it gets too hot to cook for us, we’re all like, “Hello, order for delivery?” But making something like cold Thai noodles is MUCH better and more affordable. :)

Jennifers last blog post..Comfort Food in Durango, Colorado

2 Trackbacks

1. By Orzo and shrimp salad | Kitchen Gadget Girl on July 11, 2008 at 4:55 pm

[...] yesterday’s post, I suggested an orzo pasta salad with shrimp served in 1/2 an avocado. Elaine requested the recipe, [...]

2. By Reachout Wireless free phone on October 5, 2014 at 8:49 am

Reachout Wireless free phone

Thirteen dinners for a hot night | Food in the Kitchen by Kitchen Gadget Girl

Totally addictive pumpkin whoopie pies with coconut cream at today’s #stanfordfoodsummit #is4toomany?